Hope everyone has been having a great weekend. I sure am enjoying mine! Saturday I took a nice walk along the beach with a friend, followed by lunch out with the hubby and then drinks, dancing and clubbing with the ladies. Today I am recovering LOL, I will admit, I may have had one too many wines last night (and some really bad food!)
You know what I think is the best thing about the weekends though? All the extra time I have for cooking!! I was really craving pancakes this morning but I wanted to keep them as healthy and clean as possible so I decided to do a little experiment. This is what I came up with….
Don’t they just look so pretty?
Well not only did they look amazing but they tasted fantastic and with all that coconut and chia seeds these were just packed with nutrients (which I desperately felt I needed after last night!)
So you want to know how I made them right? Well…. Here’s what you need:
* 4 eggs (separated)
* 1 cup coconut milk
* Pinch of salt
* 1 cup coconut flour
* 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
* 1 ripe banana
* 1 teaspoon chia seeds
* 1 punnet of strawberries
And here’s what you do:
1. Whisk together the egg yolks, coconut milk and salt until well combined.
2. Fold coconut flour and baking powder into the mixture.
3. Mash the banana and toss this in to and mix together.
4. In a separate bowl, whisk the egg whites until they start to form stiff peaks then fold this into the pancake mixture.
5. Using a non stick fry pan on a medium heat (add a little coconut or extra virgin olive oil if you prefer not to taste the coconut oil), add a dollop of the mixture depending on what size pancakes you want. Cook for a few minutes on each side, until golden. These pancakes don’t really bubble and pop when they are ready to be flipped so you will have to just keep checking them.
Continue until you have cooked all the batter.
For the strawberry topping..
Just cut the tops off the strawberries, throw them in your blender and blend until smooth. Simple!
I would have liked to have added and a green apple to the strawberry sauce but I didn’t realise until after I got home from the supermarket that I actually had none left. This is something I will defiantly try next time though!