You know those moments where your guests come round for morning or afternoon tea and you know they are expecting some sort of a guilty treat and coffee? You who is trying to stick to a clean and healthy lifestyle – well don’t fret no more because you could whip these up in next to no time and nobody would know they are good for you unless you tell them!!
So if you love your cakes (and want to be able to eat them too) you will love these Clean Apple and Cinnamon Muffins!!
* 1 apple, cored and diced (I think that next time I will try grating the apple)
* 1 cup almond meal
* 1 teaspoon baking powder
* 1 teaspoon baking soda
* 1/2 cup coconut flour
* 3 eggs, whisked
* 1/4 cup coconut oil, melted
* 2 tablespoons rice malt syrup
* 1 heaped tablespoon cinnamon
* pinch of salt
What to do
1. Preheat your oven to 160 degrees Celsius.
2. In a large mixing bowl add your dry ingredients (almond meal, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and salt) and mix together.
3. Throw in your eggs, oil, rice malt and apples and mix thoroughly.
4. Evenly distribute into your lined muffin tins and bake for 25 – 30 minutes.
5. Let them cool before sitting back and enjoy one or two!
This made 10 muffins for me and trust me, it’s hard not to eat these all in one sitting but remember, whilst these are a great, clean alternative to normal muffins, all good things must be enjoyed in moderation!!
Today has been one of those days where all I can think about is food. I knew I had some chicken in the fridge and that I wanted to try something new so I spent a good part of today researching “Paleo” chicken recipes and at last I came across Once A Month Mom Paleo Chicken Kiev and I knew I just had to give it ago. I never in my wildest dreams thought I would find a healthy Chicken Kiev recipe!!
For two people you will need:
* 1/2 cup soy milk (you could use any milk though)
* 1 teaspoon lemon juice or vinegar
* 1/4 cup almond meal
* 1/2 cup coconut flour
* Cracked pepper, to taste
* Sea salt, to taste
* 1 tablespoon onion powder
* 1 tablespoon fresh parsley, finely chopped
* 2 cloves garlic, crushed
* 2 tablespoons coconut butter (at room temp so it’s soft but still solid)
* 1 large chicken breast
What to do:
1. Preheat your oven to 175 degrees Celsius.
2. In a shallow bowl add you milk and lemon juice or vinegar and let sit for about 10 minutes to make a buttermilk (alternately your could buy premade butter milk and you could use any milk).
3. In a second bowl combine all your dry ingredients (almond meal, coconut flour, salt, pepper and onion powder).
4. In a third bowl, combine the coconut butter, garlic and parsley and mix together well. If it is a bit cold and the coconut butter is to hard, microwave it for about 10 seconds to soften.
5. Butterfly slice the chicken breast then dredge in the buttermilk mix and coat in the almond / coconut crumb.
6. Divide the coconut butter mix in two serves and place this on the chicken breast and roll. Secure the rolled breast with a couple of wooden tooth picks and bake for 20 minutes or until cooked right through.
This was so good that even the hubby rated it a 9 out of 10!
Hope everyone has been having a great weekend. I sure am enjoying mine! Saturday I took a nice walk along the beach with a friend, followed by lunch out with the hubby and then drinks, dancing and clubbing with the ladies. Today I am recovering LOL, I will admit, I may have had one too many wines last night (and some really bad food!)
You know what I think is the best thing about the weekends though? All the extra time I have for cooking!! I was really craving pancakes this morning but I wanted to keep them as healthy and clean as possible so I decided to do a little experiment. This is what I came up with….
Don’t they just look so pretty?
Well not only did they look amazing but they tasted fantastic and with all that coconut and chia seeds these were just packed with nutrients (which I desperately felt I needed after last night!)
So you want to know how I made them right? Well…. Here’s what you need:
* 4 eggs (separated)
* 1 cup coconut milk
* Pinch of salt
* 1 cup coconut flour
* 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
* 1 ripe banana
* 1 teaspoon chia seeds
* 1 punnet of strawberries
And here’s what you do:
1. Whisk together the egg yolks, coconut milk and salt until well combined.
2. Fold coconut flour and baking powder into the mixture.
3. Mash the banana and toss this in to and mix together.
4. In a separate bowl, whisk the egg whites until they start to form stiff peaks then fold this into the pancake mixture.
5. Using a non stick fry pan on a medium heat (add a little coconut or extra virgin olive oil if you prefer not to taste the coconut oil), add a dollop of the mixture depending on what size pancakes you want. Cook for a few minutes on each side, until golden. These pancakes don’t really bubble and pop when they are ready to be flipped so you will have to just keep checking them.
Continue until you have cooked all the batter.
For the strawberry topping..
Just cut the tops off the strawberries, throw them in your blender and blend until smooth. Simple!
I would have liked to have added and a green apple to the strawberry sauce but I didn’t realise until after I got home from the supermarket that I actually had none left. This is something I will defiantly try next time though!
Tonight I was really craving something sweet! As I have mentioned before, I am a massive CHOC-A-HOLIC!! But I have set myself a challenge, I am going to go without chocolate for a whole three months, yep you read that right! Three whole months without the taste of a super sweet chocolate bar. Oh and it’s not just chocolate bars I have given up, it’s everything chocolate flavoured down to the coco powder that is spread on my daily cappuccino!!
So what else is there when that craving hits?
Look no further because these little babies will definitely blow the sweet tooth cravings! And in keeping with the nature of my blog, they are a paleo version with NO sugar. These are actually not to bad for you (if you can keep from eating the whole batch!!!!)