I am a huge fan of avocados. Not only do they taste great but they have some amazing health benefits! They are high in folate (23% of your recommended daily intake in one cup!) which studies have shown diet high in folate may reduce the risk of heart disease. They are high in oleic acid which helps prevent breast cancer and by adding an avocado to a salad it can help the body to absorb up to 5 times the nutrients – why would you not love these.
So from the moment I came across this recipe I knew I had to give these a whirl (or a taste?) and here is how they turned out..
For one person you will need –
* 1 ripe avocado
* 1/2 cup of almond meal
* 1/4 cup of milk of your choice (I used soy milk)
* Dash of lemon juice
* Any combination of herbs and spices you like (I used oregano and parsley)
* Salt and pepper to taste
1. Preheat oven to 175C and line an oven tray with baking paper.
2. Peel and pitt your avocado and slice into ‘fry’ sized pieces.
3. Add the dash of lemon juice to the milk (this should form a buttermilk).
4. Mix the almond meal, spices, salt and pepper together.
5. Set up an assembly line so you can dip your avocado fries in the milk then the almond meal mix. One at a time, dip your avocado wedges into the milk, then roll them around in the almond meal mix and place on your baking sheet.
6. Bake for about 20 minutes (turning sides mid bake).
NOTE: These do cook quickly so make sure you keep an eye on them otherwise you may be eating Charcoal Avocado Fries instead.
Serve with your favorite dipping sauce – I had these with my home made (sugar free) tomato sauce and let me tell it, it was an absolute treat!!