Everyone it seems is on the ‘I Quit Sugar’ diet at the moment. Quite personally, I don’t like the word ‘diet’ in this context as I believe that healthy eating for the right reasons should become a lifestyle choice, however, I do strongly believe in Sarah’s views and her approach intrigues me greatly.
I thought I would give it go, eliminating all sugar but I got stuck when I couldn’t eat my morning muesli because of the dried fruit in it – apparently, it is best to cut out fruit due to the high levels of fructose. I have however made a conscious effort to reducing the sugar in my life – yes it is hard and yes I still eat my fruit but hey everything in moderation right?! I can tell you, refined sugars (like the kind in sweets, chips, processed and packaged foods) are now mostly eliminated in my ‘diet’!
One thing that I found had a LOT of sugars was your every day tomato sauce so I decided to put my skills to the test and see how I go making my own any boy, it is even better than Masterfoods Tomato Sauce!!
This recipe was inspired by sugarfreemom.
* 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
* 2 garlic cloves, minced
* 1 large onion, diced
* 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
* 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
* 1/4 cup honey
* 1 teaspoon salt
* 800g can tomato puree
* 340g can tomato paste
* 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
* 1/2 teaspoon oregano
1. Start by heating the oil and sauté the garlic and onions until softened.
2. Add the vinegars, honey and salt to the saucepan.
3. Once boiled as the tomato puree and paste and again bring to the boil.
4. Throw in the cloves and oregano and simmer on a reduced heat until the sauce thickens (this took me about 20 minutes).
5. Allow to cool for a few minutes and then blend your sauce to a smooth consistency.
This makes heaps!! I almost filled a 1 litre jar (lucky it’s so tasty). Apparently this lasts for up to a month in the fridge and can be frozen. I think next time I will make a half or quarter batch though.